Live in it.....Love it.

I believe if you are going to live in it, you should LOVE it. You should be excited to come home to it everyday and be proud to show it off. I want to inspire you to make your home what you have always dreamed of. It doesn't matter how big or small the space is, it is what you do with that space that makes all the difference. I'll show you how I make our home something that we live in....and love it and I will show you how I do that on a budget.

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Styling Entertainment Center Shelves with Glass Doors

Ok, when I was looking for inspiration out there in the internet world, all I could find was styling for bookcases or shelves.  Nothing for an entertainment center with glass doors.  I have to work with what I have for now {this entertainment center}, but one day I hope to have some open shelving instead.  Maybe something smaller or at least white and no doors.  We will see.

So I just kept getting ideas from bookcase styling.  You can see my Pinterest board for more ideas.  I also had another problem and that was that I had a lot of stuff I didn't love behind those glass doors.  Things I received as gifts and weren't completely my taste.
{I received them for my bridal shower, so what can I say} 


Let's see what they looked like first.  I really disliked how they looked from day one, but I just didn't know what to do with them.  So of course I hit the internet for inspiration and ideas.

A better look with the doors open.  Basically I added things from around the house that didn't have a place otherwise and this is what I came up with.  Like I said, I didn't love it, but they all needed to go someplace.

Here is the other side of the entertainment center.

Like I said, lots of stuff that were gifts and that I didn't love.  And as you can see lots of crystal.  I needed color and some interest.  So I had to figure out how to combine crystal with everyday decor.  Sort of like decorating with antiques & new decor.  So I had to keep my eye out when I would go shopping for some decor I knew I just didn't have in the house.  I also shopped my house for things I could use.  So over several months I kept my eye out for things that I would love.  Over Christmas I asked for some things that I saw and I even bought some things for my husband that I knew would fit on the shelves.  I had to put some stuff in there that he would like to look at too, right?  Of course I did....I wanted to.

Here are a few of the things that I had bought at Home Goods.  I know, I know I have a problem, but I love that place.  I didn't take pictures of everything that was bought for this project before hand, but everything is in the entertainment center.  Decorating books, small colorful decor, a plane & some books that the hubby was interested in.  More on those in a minute.

So two weeks ago I decided I had to re-style these shelves.  To start, I emptied them completely onto my Dining Room table.  I put aside the things that I didn't want to go back in and I grouped together all the stuff I wanted in there.


It was very sunny the day I did this, so taking pictures was not easy with all the glass.  But here it is all done.  :)

Let's get closer so you can see how I styled my shelves.


I even put some of the stuff right above the TV so the cable box didn't look so ugly anymore.
{that is not my wedding picture, I had to print some out}

Let's take a look inside, {again those aren't my wedding pictures}.  I mixed crystal with inexpensive ceramic decor.  I actually love how it all turned out.  Mixing the crystal in with everyday stuff finally worked for me.  I love how it all turned out.  This girl is smiling now!!!

Wedding frame & toasting glasses.  Cute little turquoise bird {Michael's}, dolphin and white vases.


That is my bouquet from our wedding 5.5 years ago.  I just couldn't throw it out.  My mother-in-law dried it for me.

And these three things were my Grandma's.  A small green vase, a cow that can pour milk & a bell.  Yes they aren't my "style", but they remind me on my Grandma and many great memories.  :)

Decor books {Amazon} my hubby bought me for Christmas and a cute little purple ceramic flower {Michael's}.

I love this little guy.  Isn't she cute?  I love Turquoise.
{Michael's....what can I tell you they were having a 40% off sale and I saw a few little things that I loved and I knew would finish off this project.}

I love this color purple.

HomeGoods

The "&" and turquoise book are from HomeGoods.

HomeGoods.  My hubby loves old planes.

Crystal from HomeGoods & books from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

The saying is actually a box that you can store things in, it's from HomeGoods.  White bird from Michael's.

Ok, so for a really long time, I have been wanting to either paint or wallpaper or even use wrapping paper on the back wall of the entertainment center.  It's the same dark cherry wood that the rest of it is and it's just way to dark.  So first I had styled the shelves to see if that would make me happy enough.  But something was still missing.  Then I came across this purty wrapping paper from Hallmark and I knew I had to buy it for my entertainment center walls.  With all the inspiration online, I had to do this.  I wanted something brighter and prettier for this piece.  :)
 

The background is a light blue-ish turquoise color and the flowers are a gray/brown kind of color.  It wasn't easy to get a good picture of.  But it is really pretty in person.  I'm sure of it.  ;)


So this is how it went.  Before, during & after.

"Before" & "After"

I LOVE IT!!!  So glad I went with the pretty wrapping paper.  So for a roll of $4.99 paper {and I still have some left over}, I was able to really get the look I wanted.

Simple directions of how I installed it.  I bought some poster board, 4 pieces to be exact.  I didn't want to make this permant because I might want to sell it one day.  So I measured the inside of each side and took 2 pieces of the poster board and taped them together.  I taped the wrapping paper on to the poster board and put it behind the glass shelves.  So the shelves hold it in place.  I was done.  If for some reason it starts to curl because it's only held in by the shelves, then I will add small push pins into the corners and with all the decor inside, you will not see the push pins.

So here is what each side looks like again with the wrapping paper.


So do you love how they turned out?  Is the wrapping paper not your thing?  What kind of wrapping paper would you use?  Have you painted or wallpapered something like this before?  Did you make it permant or not?  I would love to hear all about it.  Please leave a link in the comment section so that everyone else can take a look at your project too.  I love being inspired by others.

Thanks for stopping by everyone!!!  Have a great day!!!  :)


Tip Junkie handmade projects

 
Weekend Bloggy Reading

5 comments:

  1. That paper is SO pretty! Love it to pieces! Thanks so much for sharing, I am sure it makes you smile daily!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jen. It does make me smile daily. :)

      Delete
  2. I saw your comment on iheart organizing and popped over. I think the wrapping paper made a huge difference! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roxanne. And thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. If your cabinet having a glass doors better to clean it to see what's things inside. For the reason that I have a cabinet and I use to clean it over and over again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...