Live in it.....Love it.

I believe if you are going to live in it, you should LOVE it. You should be excited to come home to it everyday and be proud to show it off. I want to inspire you to make your home what you have always dreamed of. It doesn't matter how big or small the space is, it is what you do with that space that makes all the difference. I'll show you how I make our home something that we live in....and love it and I will show you how I do that on a budget.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tablescape 101 - How To Layer a Table for the Holidays

So with the Christmas season right in front of us now, we have started to decorate for the Holidays.  I figured I would start with our Dining Room table first because Centsational Girl is having a contest on November 30th for tablescapes.  So make sure you check out Kate's blog on the 30th for all the pretty tablescapes.  I can't wait to link up.

  OK, so let's get started with "How to Layer Your Table for the Holidays".

My colors for this year are:  Bronze, Gold, little bit of White and a touch of Silver thrown in and the pop of color is Turquoise.

One clean empty table.  I started by putting all the table leaves in, because we need to fit 10 guests at this table.  We have around 19 guests for Christmas, but there is another table set up in our Family Room that holds most everyone else.  More details on that another day.

Then I added the table pads and my new table cloth from HomeGoods.

Here is a close up of the table cloth.  It is a gold satin Ikat.  It's not so stripey looking in person.  It only cost $19.99 for 118".  Cha-ching!!!

I added a cake plate I bought at HomeGoods next.  It kind of looks lost on that big table, doesn't it.

Close up!!!  I love the gorgeous Turquoise color.

I then added some candles on top of the cake plate.

But then I decided that I really wanted a table runner as well, so I put down a Jute table runner.  It just grounds the center of the tablescape for me, but you don't have to use one if you don't want to.  Plus I know I always want to stay on the table runner with my decor....kind of keeps me in check when I'm layering the table.  You want to make sure you still have room for your glasses & plates.  ;)

Here I added two bronze squenced trees to either side of the cake plate with candles.  Now that cake plate doesn't look so lost anymore.

Next I added some gold/silver garland around everything.  I try to lay it down kind of back and forth and around things.  It doesn't need to be perfect in anyway.  Just lay it down the way it looks pleasing to your eye.

I used two pieces of garland for this look.  I like it to look full and fluffy.

I then added beaded garland in Turquoise to break up all of that Gold garland.  Plus I threw in some ornaments, in Bronze, Gold & Turquoise.

I will show you more of the details in a minute.  Let's finish the layering first.

Here come the place settings!!!  I wanted to go with a casual setting, so I mixed and matched what I put on the table.

Let's take a closer look at the table settings.  I used my everyday water glasses and my everyday silverware.

But for the plates I used some Turquoise plastic plates as my "chargers" {yes I said plastic, well it's melamine plates for outdoor use}.  Then I broke out my good China and put that on top of the chargers.  They are white and silver, so they were still simple.

 Here are some close up details of the centerpiece.  I added beaded gold garland around the candles...even letting some fall off the cake plate a little and then I added different size ornaments all around to complete the centerpiece.


A closer-close-up!!!

An even closer-close-up!!!


Here is a close up of the ornaments I placed on and around the Gold/Silver garland and beaded Turquoise garland.

I love these Bronze squence trees.  I bought them a few years ago at Burlington Coat Factory.  Yup, they sell more then just coats.  They have a pretty good selection of Holiday decor and even everyday decor.

Now we couldn't forget the chandlier.  We hung about 12 ornaments from pretty Bronze/Gold ribbon I bought at Michael's.  I love all the colors hanging down and complimenting the tablescape.

So here is the full view of the whole table and chandlier.  We love how it turned out.

Well I hope you enjoyed "Tablescape 101 for the Holidays".  It was fun putting it all together and we love the outcome of it as well.

Here is the break down of the cost of this project........

Gold Satin Ikat Table cloth = $19.99 - HomeGoods
2 gold candles = $4.99 ea. - HomeGoods
2 bronze candles = $3.99 ea. - HomeGoods
1 white candle = $5.99 ea. - HomeGoods
Cake stand = $12.99 - HomeGoods
Ribbons = $.99 ea. {sale} - Michael's
Gold/Bronze Ornaments {5} = $5.00 - Target
Turquoise & Silver Ornaments = $7.00 - Target

Grand Total = $72.89

For $72.89, I created a whole new tablescape that I didn't have last year.  Last year I had mostly Gold, Red & Green throughout the Dining Room, Living Room & Kitchen.  Sorry I didn't blog about my holiday decor last year.
I still have ribbon left over & some of the Turquoise & Silver ornaments, so it's the decor that keeps giving.  ;)

You can check out this post for all the details of the products I bought for this project and some other decor I bought for our house.

So has anyone else started decorating for the Holidays?  Let's share what you have done already or what you want to do this year.  Did you know that Burlington Coat Factory sold decor?  Do you like Turquoise, Bronze & Gold together?  Let's hear all about it.  Share away ladies!!!  :)

Thanks for stopping by everyone!!!  Have a great day!!!  :)

Also Linking Up to:
Home Stories A 2 Z


The Lettered Cottage

28 comments:

  1. Jen, Jen, Jen...I need you in SC asap to do my table, I love it! That ikat table cloth is totally perfect and I love the pops of turquoise. I have a table setting already up but after seeing this the wheels are turning in my head again. I'll have mine up bright and early for all to see tomorrow:) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwww, your making me blush Latoya!!! Thank you! Oh know, isn't that Ikat table cloth to die for. I saw it & bought it...no questions asked for me. ;) Can't wait to see what your looks like tomorrow. Can't wait to see what those wheels in your head come up with. I love inspiring others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful table! Can't believe how BIG it is! Wow! Thanks for the heads up about CG's party! I am actually posting tomorrow about my Christmas table!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee, thank you!!! You bought a large table on surpose because we have a large family. It's great to have. Love how your table turned out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jean! Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! Great colour, wonderful composed and I love your idea of the melamine plates as chargers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the use of bronze and gold too - I'm not a big gold person but this is beautiful! And turquoise is one of my favorite colors so I love that! :) Came over from Centsational Girl - good luck in her contest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving it ! Especially your step by step pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel - Thank you. I couldn't find chargers I liked, so I tried the melamine plates. ;)

    Skye - Thank you. I wasn't a big gold person either, but I loved how it all looked together.

    Beth - Thank you. Glad you liked the step by step. Good to see you. Hope all is well.

    Thanks for stopping by everyone!!! And thanks for all of the great comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I love your blues and browns and ornaments hanging from the chandelier. Pretty layers.... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeousness Jen!!! I love your step by step, it's all about the layers and details, bravo girl! Thank you so much for linking up today!
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I love this! The colors are so gorgeous together. I like how you shared everything step by step - good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen, thanks for that tuitorial..that was helpful to me..wished you would have shown a picture of the turqouise charger or is that placemats? With this simple tuitorial..I think I can do it. I was at Home Goods yesterday and bought this very tall and beautiful apothecary jar..now I've got to figure out what to fill it with..I'm thinking colored Christmas balls. It even came with this beautiful large silk flower with ribbon attached around the neck of the jar. The flower is gold with glitter..ribbon looks like organdy. This apothecary jar can be kept out all year and can hold many things plus decorate inside for each specific holiday. I saw another wide mouth vase with a pine needle candle ring with it that I want to go back for. Bed,Bath&Beyond always has those cinnomon scented pinecones in a net bag by the front door that always smells heavenly and I am thinking of buying a bag of those, put some in that wide mouth vase or I have a big basket with handle in the garage. It's unfinished but hey, a can of spray paint can take care of that.
    Put those scented pinecones in there and a ribbon with a bow on the handle and I have another decoration. May be too much scent for people with allergies..so beware of that factor. Add a glass compote in the bathroom on the vanity top, maybe a few of those scented pinecones, some decorative Christmas balls or maybe a sprig of berries. I think people forget about decorating their bathrooms at Christmas.
    This is some quick thinking on my part this morning, I'm sure some creative fans/followers can come up with some other ideas. I know what I like but don't know how to put it all together. That's where all of you creative people come in to help.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glenda - thank you so much. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    Debra - thank you. I'm glad you liked the step by step. :)

    Comeca - Thank you very. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kate - Centsational Girl....Thank you, thank you. That means a lot to me coming from you. The contest was lots of fun to be in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betty819 - Thanks for stopping by. Yes those are Turquoise chargers. I can take more pictures of the place settings and put them up for all to see. Sorry I left that out.

    I love apothecary jars. You could put colorful ornaments in or even buy cheap garland beads that a lot of people might put on their trees, but you could fill up the jars with these instead. You could even layer the jar with different color beads.

    Betty you have a lot of great idea. I would definitely go through with the ideas that you have.....the vase, the pinecones and even the bathroom. I decorate the bathroom, but just a little bit. More on the rest of my holiday decorating to come next week, so I hope you will stop back and see what else I have come up with. Thanks so much for stopping by and thanks for the ideas....you are creative!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Jen, this table looks beautiful! I love love love the color choices. You did a great job layering all the different components into an elegant and cohesive look. Great job!

    Also, thanks for stopping by my site and commenting on my tablescape. I really appreciate it!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah - thanks for stopping by and thank you sooooo much for the nice comments. Glad you like my tablescape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the beautiful photos and tutoring. I'm decorting my home and church using some of your great tips. I will be tweeking some of what I had in mind to better effect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Annette, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad you love this post. I love knowing that you are going to use my tips to tweak your own ideas. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks great! Love Christmas dining decor!
    http://www.copycatlooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I loves watching the table come together. You chose a beautiful color scheme and that runner really was the perfect touch.

    Sharon @ mrshinesclass

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your table setting looks amazing!! I love that cake stand :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love how you made your table step by step! Just beautiful! The turquoise really makes things pop!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi I love this too! Do you have any suggestions for other holidays?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...